Wednesday, February 3, 2010

On call with the mosquitos

As I was woken up from my 2 hours of "sleep" on the top bunk by a screaming woman, I could only think that the worst had happened; someone must have died! I jumped out of bed, almost forgot I am on the top bunk, and almost fell flat on my face. Luckily I still have pretty good reflexes and realized quickly that it just seems too far down and actually came down the ladder. I stumble into the ICU where I express my concern to the Ugandan nurses. Shy smiles on their faces calms me down, as they tell me "it's just the maternity ward and someone is just giving birth". I guess it's all natural birth here, since I have never heard anyone scream like that giving birth.
The next thing I notice is truly amazing (especially for those who work in our CICU back home). Our 13 year old with Sub aortic stenosis and PDA who came out of the OR about 7 hours ago, is sitting up and getting chest PT!!! Couldn't believe it; 7 hours out of the OR!!!!

These patients are amazing; no whimpering, no drama, no whining. They just want to get better and they want to get better fast.

I wish all you (medical professionals and non-medical) could see the courage of these children and the pure joy, happiness and excitement of their families.

I am tired, but ready to do more echos (many more) echos tomorrow until my arms hurt.
Back to the ICU (kudos to Amy and Katie for taking such great care of these kids and teaching all the "sisters").
-Ahmad

No comments: