Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Cultural Adjustment and Our New Driver

Hello All,

Last night was my first night on in the CICU in Uganda. It was the first time I have ever had to remember to pack insect repellent for a call night...but I digress. Tammy and Lynda (go night team!) were on with me. I stayed up until 1AM talking with Tom, one of the Ugandan CV surgeons. We discussed pre- and post-op management here versus the U.S. But most of all we discussed his experiences in the theater. Actually, that is a cultural difference. Here the OR is known as "The Theater." Incidently, when the head nurse told me she would like to leave our clinic yesterday to go to the theater. I thought it odd, but I figured there was a movie she really wanted to see. I understand now.

On an unrelated note, one important factoid about Craig Sable that none of you ever knew. His greatest aspiration (beyond perhaps being a member of the Steelers) is to be a bus driver in Kampala. He keeps saying things like, "I now know my way around here... I think I am going to drive next time...I think I could drive this bus better, don't you?"

Luv,
Craig

No comments: